Do you know any amazing up-and-coming female leaders? The International
Centre for Women’s Leadership is offering an opportunity for emerging women
leaders from the global south to participate in a 7-week Global Change
Leaders program at St. Francis Xavier University in Canada. in 2011-2012, the International Centre for Women’s Leadership launched the Global Change Leaders program – a certificate course for emerging women leaders from the global south.
Through campus-based education, field visits, mentorships and linkages to a global network of other women leaders, the program enables the women to strengthen their leadership capacities to contribute to change in their organizations and communities. Program participants engage in learning themes grounded in real world experiences. Topics covered include transformative leadership concepts, practical leadership skills, citizen-led and asset-based development, and oral and written communications. Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and the beginnings of a potentially lifelong network of support.
The overall Program Objective is to enable Global Change Leaders to take on more powerful and dynamic leadership roles in their organizations and communities. Specific outcomes for participants include:
- Practical understanding of leadership concepts and application within their own context
- Enriched knowledge and experience in essential leadership skills
- Expertise in organizational learning and change management
- Strengthened capacity to realize sustainable, citizen-led and asset-based development goals
- Effective and compelling oral and written communications, and presentation skills
- Ability to apply strategies and tools that underpin innovative social and economic initiatives
- Active participation in a global network of like-minded women leaders
The Global Change Leaders program invites applications for the 2013 program from women from the global south who have demonstrated leadership in a development sector for at least two years but would still be considered an emerging leader. Women who have held leadership roles for a number of years should not apply for this certificate, but may be eligible for other Coady Education programs. Please see this link for our other programs: http://coady.stfx.ca/education/
Applicants to the Global Change Leaders program should meet the following requirements:
- From the global south
- A practitioner in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movements or in a social enterprise / business
- At least two years of demonstrated leadership in a social or economic development endeavour in sectors such as livelihoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment, access to education and health care, governance, and the rights of girls and women
- University degree or combination of post-secondary education and experience
- Competence in English
Applications for the Global Change Leaders 2013 Program are now open. Application deadline is December 3, 2012. The program will run for seven weeks from March 24 to May 10, 2013.
How to Apply
You have the option of saving a partially completed form with a login and password that you create, and returning to it later. Your login must be a valid email address, and your password must be at least six characters and contain a number and an upper case letter.
Please note that you will be required to upload a current resume and a personal statement as you complete your online application. You will not be able to submit your application without uploading these documents:
- CURRENT RESUME: Include information on certificates, diplomas or degrees granted with names and locations of granting institutions; training you have undertaken; your work experience starting with your current employment/occupation, your role and responsibilities and how long you were in each position. Include relevant volunteer activities, names of organizations, and your role.
- PERSONAL STATEMENT: In a personal statement of no more than 500 words, tell us why you think you qualify for the Global Change Leaders program; what you hope to learn from it; and how you plan to use the knowledge that you will gain.
- REFERENCE FORM: Your application will not be considered complete until we receive letters of reference from two people. Please download the reference form from the link below and give to your referees or send the link to your referees so they can download the form themselves. Your referees will receive an acknowledgment e-mail from us once we have received their completed reference forms. Please note that completed reference forms must also be received by the application deadline.
For more information; visit: http://coady.stfx.ca/women/change-leader