Call for Applications: AVAC 2014 Advocacy Fellowship applications
This update provides information on the Advocacy Fellowship program, the application process, a short informational video, the latest edition of the Fellows newsletter Spotlight and details on an upcoming informational call to be held on Monday, 1 July 2013.
The submission deadline for the Advocacy Fellowship applications is Monday, 5 August 2013.
Download application materials at http://www.avac.org/2014fellowsapps.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
The goal of AVAC’s Advocacy Fellowship is to expand the capacity of advocates and organizations to monitor, support and help shape biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation of proven interventions worldwide. The Advocacy Fellowship is guided by AVAC’s conviction that effective and sustainable advocacy grows out of work that reflects organizational and individual interests, priorities and partnerships.
The Advocacy Fellowship provides support to emerging and mid-career advocates to design and implement advocacy projects focused on biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation activities in their countries and communities. These projects are designed to addresses locally identified gaps and priorities. Fellows receive training, full-time financial support and technical assistance to plan and implement a targeted one-year project within host organizations working in HIV/AIDS and/or advocacy. Host organizations are critical partners in the Fellowship and hosting Fellowship projects can be an opportunity for an organization to further develop its own work in this field.
The Fellowship program focuses on low- and middle-income countries where clinical research on AIDS vaccines, microbicides and PrEP is planned or ongoing and/or where there are plans for or current work on implementation of voluntary medical male circumcision, PrEP, treatment as prevention, “combination prevention” packages that combine biomedical strategies for population impact, and where the links between reproductive health and HIV risk for women are being studied.
HIV Prevention Research Advocacy Fellows are:
* Emerging or mid-career community leaders and advocates involved or interested in advocacy around biomedical HIV prevention research and implementation.
* Individuals with some experience or education in the areas of HIV and AIDS, public health, medicine, international development, women’s rights, communications, and/or advocacy with key populations, such as sex workers, gay men, other men who have sex with men and transgender women and people who inject drugs.
* Based in low- and middle-income countries where biomedical HIV prevention clinical research is planned and/or where implementation of “combination prevention” is planned, ongoing or emerging.
* Able to collaborate with English-speaking mentors.
Please visit http://www.avac.org/pxrd to identify countries where research and implementation is ongoing or planned and to learn more about the research.
Prospective applicants or host organizations who want to learn more about this program or have questions about the application process are encouraged to:
* Watch a three-minute video featuring past and present Fellows, host supervisors and AVAC staff reflecting on the program.
* Download the 2014 Advocacy Fellowship Information Packet and application materials at http://www.avac.org/2014fellowsapps.
* Visit AVAC’s Fellows page for more information on current and alumni Fellows.
* Read the new edition of Spotlight, which highlights the work of our 2012 and 2013 Fellows.
* Join an informational conference call on Monday, 1 July.
Informational Call: MONDAY, 1 JULY 2013
8am Lima / 9am New York / 10am Rio / 3pm Johannesburg / 4pm Nairobi / 6:30pm Mumbai / 8pm Bangkok (Visit http://www.timeanddate.com to confirm the time in your time zone.) Join AVAC for an informational call to learn more about the program and ask questions directly to those who lead the program and/or have been a part of it.
Register for the call here. [The call will be recorded and loaded to the Fellows page.]
If you have any questions about the Fellowship program or the application process, please email email@example.com
Applications are due by MONDAY, 5 AUGUST 2013.
Please share this information with your partners, and we look forward to receiving your application!