Call for Applications:International Citizen Service (ICS) in Nigeria
International Citizen Service (ICS) is a programme that brings young people from the UK and from Nigeria to live and work together as volunteers so they can share their learning with their host community. ICS seeks to support the advancement of a global perspective among young people and create a group of young people, both in the UK and in developing countries, who make a lifelong contribution as advocates for international development and as agents of social change within their own communities. The Calabar programme is a partnership between Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and Girls’ Power Initiative (GPI).
The Calabar ICS programme will have a team of up to 20 young people (aged 18-25), with equal numbers coming from Nigeria and the UK. The teams are formed, to reflect diversity in terms of geography, ethnicity, ability, education and gender. Together, in cross-cultural counterpart pairs, they live with host families and work on community development projects in the community for 3 months.
We are inviting applications from individuals interested in participating in the ICS project due to commence in January 2013. Interested applicants must have the following:
- A positive and realistic commitment to the programme
- A genuine commitment to learning
- Ability to solve problems
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self confidence
- Ability to work with others in a team
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
In addition they must be able to:
- Treat everyone equally and with respect, regardless of any difference
- Abide by and respect all the laws, both of Nigeria and the UK
- Abide by all the rules and regulations established by the Programme to protect their health and safety
- Always stay within host communities unless they have prior agreement from their Project Supervisor
- Respect the customs and cultures of host communities and specifically their host families
- Take part in all the activities and phases of the Programme, including introductory training course, pre-departure preparation and returned volunteers events
Participants (volunteers) must be sure that they can cope with the above standards of behavior before they apply for the program.
Completed forms should be returned to GPI either via email to email@example.com or can be delivered or posted to the following address: Girls’ Power Initiative (GPI), Anyamurua Estate, Atimbo Road, P.O. Box 3663, UNICAL Post Office, Calabar. Completed forms must be received by Friday 11th January.
Those candidates short listed for the programme will be contacted from the 14th of January and will be invited for interview within one week of notification.
Download the International Citizen Service Application Form
Posted on January 3, 2013, in Africa, Career, Education, Fellowship, Global, Internships and tagged #Nigeria #Cross River, Calabar, Cross River State, Girls Power Initiative, GPI, International Citizen Service (ICS). Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.