Monthly Archives: September 2012
As part of our efforts to be the catalyst that elevates the profile and
influence of women and their contribution to nation building, WIMBIZ in
partnership with Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria (YouWiN!)
announces YouWiN! Women; a business plan competition which is an
entrepreneurial scheme borne out of the need to curb the increasing rate
of unemployment amongst Nigerian youth. This is the second year of the
competition and the focus on women for this round is to increase the
number of women participating in the competition. Last year, of the 1,200
awardees in the first YouWiN! project, only 18% were female.
About You WIN: YouWiN! stands for Youth Enterprise with Innovation in Nigeria. It is an innovative business plan competition aimed at job creation by encouraging and supporting aspiring entrepreneurial youth in Nigeria to develop and execute business ideas. The first edition of YouWIN! launched in 2011 and the accomplishments of the 1,200 YouWiN! awardees were celebrated at the Presidential Villa on April 12, 2012. Click here for a list of all the winners.
WIMBIZ is partnering with YouWiN! to mobilise women in the South West and
South-South States of the country. The aim is to expose them to the
extensive possibilities in the Nigerian business environment. The winner stands a chance to win N10,000,000.00! The money is an equity contribution to the winner’s business.
Who can apply: Nigerian female entrepreneurs between the ages of 18-45 wishing to expand their existing businesses or birth a new business concepts.(proof of identity: International passport/Drivers License/National ID/Voters card is required). Interested applicants must have post-secondary school qualification. The proposed business venture must be within the national borders of Nigeria, and with the intention of employing Nigerian citizens. The proposed venture must not entail the production or distribution of weapons, alcoholic beverages, tobacco or/and gambling, or any activities in contradiction with the Nigerian constitution.
Minimum academic qualification: OND/HND.
How to apply: Attend any of the business clinics in the State nearest to you from the list below. You will receive assistance with registration and the application process as well as training on writing your business plans to ensure that YouWiN! Women win.
Please save the dates and attend one of the business clinics near you if
you are interested in applying for the competition. The dates for the
business clinics in the various States is below and the venue will be
confirmed at a later date:
• Saturday 22nd September, 2012 in Lagos, Osun, Ogun, and Ekiti States
• Sunday 23rd September, 2012 in Oyo and Ondo States
• Saturday 29th September, 2012 in Delta, Rivers and Cross River States
• Sunday 30th September 2012 in Edo, Bayelsa, Oyo and Akwa Ibom States
The business clinic would run and assist candidates through a generic
template for submission of their business plan. The age criteria are 18-45
and N10, 000,000.00 is up for grabs. A minimum academic qualification of
OND/HND is required, it’s of utmost importance that you attend one of the
For more information please do not hesitate to contact Ayomide on
08034946249 or 08033897428 or by email to Ayomide@wimbiz.org
The Etisalat Prize for Innovation seeks to highlight the facilitation and promotion of Mobile Broadband in Africa. The prize will be awarded in 2 categories; a first prize for the most innovative product or service launched in the last 12 months and a second award will go to the most innovative idea for driving or facilitating mobile broadband use in Africa.
Entries will need to show demonstrable impact on broadband usage, and impressive uptake from customers. Etisalat believes innovation should go beyond improvements in existing products and services, and instead have real valuable social or economic impact to customers. In support of this belief, Etisalat is proud to announce the first edition of this prize encouraging and celebrating valuable innovation in the African market.
The prize will be awarded in 2 subcategories with a prize for the most innovative product or service launched in the last 12 months and a second prize for the most innovative idea for driving or facilitating mobile broadband use in Africa.
How to Enter:
The Etisalat Prize for Innovation will recognize the most innovative mobile Broadband product, service or idea that provides a significant utility to African mobile users and can demonstrate a valuable social or economic impact on customers.
Submissions extended till September 13th 2012
Click here to apply: http://etisalat.com.ng/innovation/pfiRegistrationForm.php
Job Location: Calabar, Cross River State
The Specialist on Development Communications will work as the official responsible for managing internal and external communications programs and projects for a state-wide Development Communications project. This will mainly entail managing, documenting and coordinating a team of professionals on strategies, challenges and implementing solutions across a clearly-marked region and population. He/she will also be required to also work with a Faculty of Research & Development, Projects, Strategy & External Relations Consultants.
In this role, he/she will also be expected to identify challenges and hitches in communication flow, initiate client solutions, suggests collaborations where applicable and relevant, and also develop strategies for new target prospects for the client and her subsidiaries.
The DCS shall work under the direct supervision of the Lead Consultant/CEO to carry out all functions specified in this ToR. He/she shall work closely with the other members of staff especially the Projects Consultant (PC).
- Double as Media Liaison or Public Affairs and Communications Officer;
- Maintain the project work plan and calendar whilst providing accurate and updated information on all media platforms, targets and stakeholders etc;
- Plan, write, prepare and/or review press releases, reports and articles to be used in project publications;
- Supervise research, interview, writing, editing and proof-reading of all content for distribution and for electronic and print communication;
- Develop story plans and maintain repository of press releases and articles;
- Prepare and maintain a stakeholder directory as well as conduct periodic information gathering and feedback/liaison activities;
- Provide regular progress reports to Lead Consultant/CEO;
- Carry out such other assignments as required by the company.
Educational and Work Requirements
- A post-graduate degree in Social Sciences, International Relations and/or Communications or preferably with a media or communications background and/or experience
- Consideration will be given to those with a first Degree in Media and communication or social science disciplines
- At least 3 years’ professional work experience in a viable consultancy or thriving business entity
- Should have at least executed/managed one major development communications project from the inception through execution and completion.
- Past experience in business development and project management and communications is an advantage.
- Strong analytical skills and a proven track record of leadership and coordinating teams.
- Should have good:
- Knowledge and experience in project management, strategy/business development and corporate communications
- Computer appreciation skills
- Numeracy and accuracy skills
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize workloads, meet deadlines and targets
- Additionally, the following attributes are essential:
- Strong interpersonal and negotiating ability
- Ability to work as a team member
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills
- Inter-personal skills
- Critical thinking & problem solving
- Planning and Organizing
- Performance Focus
- Managing Change
- Communication Skills
- Conflict & Risk Management
- Commercial Orientation
Application should include:
1. An application letter indicating clearly the post applied for
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV) clearly indicating requirements referred to above
3. Three recommendations from non-family related referees
4. Copies of:
a. Academic transcripts
b. Reference of work experience
Please send all applications to email@example.com on or before September 15, 2012.