Vacancy -UNFPA ICPD Beyond 2014 Secretariat
VACANCY NO.: Job ID 1843
CLOSING DATE: 19 September 2011 (5.00 p.m. New York time)
POST TITLE: Data Analyst
CATEGORY: ICS-9 (equivalent to P-2)
POST NUMBER: New
DUTY STATION: New York
POST TYPE: Non-Rotational
DURATION: One year (renewable)
ORGANIZATIONAL UNIT: International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) beyond 2014 Secretariat
In 1994, the 20-year Programme of Action (PoA) of the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) was adopted in Cairo to address the critical challenges and interrelationships between population and sustained economic growth in the context of sustainable development and human rights. General Assembly Resolution 65/234 on the follow-up to the ICPD beyond 2014 mandates UNFPA, in cooperation with all relevant organizations to “undertake an operational review of the implementation of the Programme of Action on the basis of the highest-quality data and analysis of the state of population and development, taking into account the need for a systematic, comprehensive and integrated approach to population and development issues”. The post described therein, will be part of the technical team of the secretariat put in place by UNFPA to carry out the 20-year Operational Review (OR) with the objective of assessing progress and achievements of ICPD PoA implementation since Cairo .
The Data Analyst post is located in the ICPD Beyond 2014 Secretariat and reports to the Technical Adviser, who provides overall direction and guidance. S/He is part of the ICPD beyond 2014 technical team responsible for the implementation of the ICPD Beyond 2014 Operational Review (OR). The Data Analyst supports the ICPD beyond 2014 technical team in the implementation of all activities of the Operational Review particularly in the consolidation of good practices and lessons learned through bibliographic research, compilation and organization of relevant documentation, preparation of tables, and report writing.
Major Activities/Expected Results:
– Provides support to the ICPD Beyond 2014 Senior Technical Advisor in all activities of the Operational Review.
– Acts as focal point for the compilation of lessons learned and good practices in the context of the Operational Review.
– Provides substantive inputs and suggestions on all aspects related to the Operational Review particularly the implementation of the Lessons learned and Good Practices initiative.
– Maintains a web-based observatory of experiences and lessons learned at the different stages throughout the operational review process in general and the Global Survey in particular.
– Contributes to capacity development activities
– Assists in the development and maintenance of a database of consultants and experts in the different thematic areas covered by ICPD.
– Supports the swift and timely collaboration with regional partners in the implementation of the ICPD Beyond 2014 Global Survey.
- Assist in the provision of data for analysis, for draft statements, talking points, correspondence, and briefing notes on OR; - Assists the ICPD beyond 2014 team in all activities related to Operational Review.
– Supports the preparation of all documentation pertaining to the implementation of the Global survey.
– Assists in the preparation of seminars and workshops and attends and participates as a technical resource person;
– Performs any other tasks to be assigned by the O-I-C of the ICPD beyond 2014 Secretariat review and the Technical Adviser for ICPD Beyond 2014.
- Values/Guiding Principles;
- Performance Management;
- Developing People/Coaching and Mentoring & Fostering Innovation and Empowerment;
Working in Teams;
- Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence;
- Appropriate and Transparent Decision Making;
- Analytical and Strategic Thinking and Results Orientation/Commitment to Excellence;
- Knowledge Sharing/Continuous Learning
- Organizational awareness
- Conceptual innovation in the provision of technical expertise
- Building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Job knowledge/technical expertise
– Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, Demography, Statistics, Population Studies, or other related subjects;
– 2 years of progressively responsible experience at national and/or international level in the collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination of statistical data is required.
– Working knowledge in the development, maintenance of databases and statistical packages for surveys are required;
– Strong analytical writing skills;
– Field experience is an asset.
– Familiarity with UN procedures and working methods, particularly with UNFPA’s mandate, policies and procedures, is an asset.
– Fluency and full working knowledge in English is required; knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender quality, teamwork, respect for diversity, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply.
We offer an attractive remuneration package commensurate with the level of the position. The package includes a competitive salary plus housing allowance, home leave, health insurance and other benefits.
How to Apply:
UNFPA has established an electronic application management system. This allows applicants to create a candidate profile, which can be updated regularly and submitted for more than one vacancy.
Download the Step by Step Guide to Applying in the E-Recruit System of UNFPA at http://www.unfpa.org/employment/application_guide.doc.
Please print out the Guide for your reference during the registration and application process.
Notice: There is no application, processing or other fee at any stage of the application process. UNFPA does not solicit or screen for information in respect of HIV or AIDS and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.