Communications Internship- UNDP,Abuja
Location : ABUJA, NIGERIA
Application Deadline :19-Jul-11
Type of Contract :Internship
Post Level :Intern
Languages Required :English
Starting Date :
(date when the selected candidate is expected to start)30-Jul-2011 Duration of Initial Contract :3 MONTHS Expected Duration of Assignment :6 MONTHS
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communications Specialist, the intern will support the implementation of the UNDP Country Office’s communications strategy to promote public and media outreach. Within the annual corporate work plan the unit will have to perform the objectives and results of the country office work plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the regular updating of the UNDP web site and intranet-in-a-box;
- Assist in MDGs advocacy and awareness of the UNDP mandate, mission and purpose;
- Assist in the dissemination of advocacy materials including the Human Development Report and other UN/UNDP publications;
- Assist, in coordination with the Communication Specialist, the production of information materials for marketing/promotion of current programmes and projects;
- Organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launchings, etc. and provision of logistical support to the events;
- Assist in the establishment of an electronic photo library;
- Other relevant tasks as may be assigned by the Communications Specialist and other appropriate senior management staff of the country office.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to learn to perform a variety of activities;
- Good IT and research skills;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on result for the unit and responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
Required Skills and Experience
A first university degree with firm offer of admission to, or completion of first year master’s course work in Journalism, publishing, communication and media or related fields.
- Previous work experience in mass media and communications units in related institutions and organizations;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc);
- Ability to draft reports, organize and coordinate events.
Fluency (both written and spoken) in English.
Source: UNDP Website